All intending travelers to Nigeria for the purpose of visit,tourism,business,work or accompanying an expatriate worker in Nigeria are advised to visit the website of Nigeria Immigration Service(www.immigration.gov.ng or portal.immigration.gov.ng) for appropriate requirements and completion of form/online payment of fees.
Visa applicants are to note that they are expected to appear physically for biometric capture at the Nigeria Visa Application Center-Online Integrated Solutions (OIS) located at Suite 1801,Kun Sha Building, No 16 Xin Yuan Li Street, Beijing, China where they can book appointment for biometric capture or submission of applications. Please visit www.oisservices.cn for further information.
- Visit the website of the Nigeria Immigration Service (www.immigration.gov.ng or portal.immigration.gov.ng) and complete the online application form. All requirements are stated on the website, applicants are advised to read carefully.
- Payment can be made online using Visa Card or visit the Nigeria Visa/Passport application center (OIS),Beijing for assistance at Suite 1801,Kun Sha Building, No 16 Xin Yuan Li Street, Beijing, China (www.oisservices.cn).
- Applicants are to submit the printed online forms, payment acknowledgement slip and other requirements to the Embassy on or before 12 noon on week days.
passport processing days at the Embassy are Tuesdays and Thursdays(Except on Nigerian and Chinese Public Holidays). Having submitted the complete application package, applicants’ biometric data will be captured from 1pm on passport days (Applicants must be physically present except otherwise directed).Applicants are advised to adhere strictly to time to avoid undue delays. At the moment, applicants do not need to book appointments to process their passports.
- All documents that are NOT in English language MUST be translated.
- Applicants are advised to avoid wearing bright coloured clothes when coming for capturing of biometric data as it affects the picture quality.
- Passport holders are strongly advised to keep their passports in a safe and dry place to avoid loss, theft or damage.
- For passport related issues in China, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- According to Chinese regulations, all new passports must be submitted to the relevant authorities. Applicants are therefore advised to submit their new passports to their schools or offices for visa processing within 10 days of obtaining the new passport.
STR Visa (Subject to Regularization)
This is the type of visa required by foreigners seeking to take up employment in Nigeria. Section 8, sub-section 1, of the Immigration Act provides that “no person, not being a citizen of Nigeria, may take up employment in Nigeria other than employment with the Federal or State government without the consent of the Comptroller-General of Immigration”. Section 33 of the Act further provides that an application must be made to the Comptroller-General by the prospective employer, in writing, confirming that he/she has a vacancy on the expatriate quota and at the same time stating the position in which prospective employee is to be employed and confirming acceptance of immigration responsibility.
The employer company applies to the Nigerian embassy or consular office in the country where such intending employee/applicant resides, requesting that he (and his accompanying spouse/fiance/children, if applicable) be granted STR visa (subject to regularisation for residents work permit) when he arrives in Nigeria. In such application, the employer company undertakes to assume immigration and other responsibilities for the employee (and his accompanying spouse/fiance/children, if applicable) in Nigeria. The STR visa is issued at Nigerian mission without reference to the Comptroller-General of Immigration provided that the applicant presents specified documents. STR visa is normally given for 90 days without reference during which an application must be made to the Comptroller-General of Immigration, to regularise the stay of the prospective employee, and the person may assume his employment only when such application is approved and a RESIDENCE WORK PERMIT granted.
Registration of Aliens
Having undergone the various legal formalities for residency status, all foreigners are expected to register their presence at the immigration offices closest to their places of residence or occupation. It should be noted that for this purpose, all the state immigration offices are representatives of the Comptroller-General of Immigration and application for regulation should be made to them, which they would refer accordingly, for approval to issue the residence permit.
Temporary Work Permit (T.W.P)
Companies and organisations wishing to engage the services of expatriates for short period assignments, are required to apply directly to the Comptroller-General in Abuja for visa/entry permits for such expatriates. This is the temporary work permit (visa) and is not issued without the approval of the Comptroller-General of Immigration. If such applications are submitted at the Nigerian missions abroad, they must be referred to the Comptroller-General of Immigration for approval. The temporary assignments which are eligible for such approval include:
1) Erection/installation work;
2) Feasibility studies;
3) Repairs of machinery/equipment;
4) Auditing of accounts;
5) Research work and such other assignments as may fall into this category.